Friday, January 21, 2011

welding and grinding


I did the finish grinding on paul's 37 case this morning. Doing work like this is a real challenge. I don't know which skill is more important welding or grinding. I guess they kind of go hand in hand. I brought down the flats first, then picked away at the radius from the top of the case to the bottom. Since the bottom was already machined , I could only go one direction, otherwise the flat gets rounded.


It looks pretty good, now I just have to punch and tap the hole into it and it's good as new.



I got that nasty 39 fin welded on. I posted about this a few weeks ago. This was a real challenge. I got it to weld on straight at the bottom, but the weld generated heat and pulled the fin away from the others and consequently was 10 or 15 degrees from being parallel. I had to heat the fin up and bend it until it was perpendicular with the mounts and parallel with the other fins. what a bunch of work, but I am happy with how it turned out.




Ray finished up the 38 transmission. it is sooooo nice. I put the brake light switch on, I couldn't help but not to. The mount is not supposed to be parkerized, it should be painted gloss black, and it will be once the bike is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment