Saturday, June 13, 2009

mounting up cas aluminum floorboards

A couple of weeks ago I did a post about some aluminum floorboards that I had just gotten in. I had a couple sets made up, I really wanted a set for the silver bobber. I used the same brackets to mount them, but I couldn't really drill and tap the floorboard, so I machined up these 12-24 aluminum plugs to press into the board.
In this pic you can see the board clamped to the table of the mill and getting machined for the plug. I believe that I counter bored the hole to a depth of .300. The plugs that I made have a .005 press fit, which is ideal for aluminum. I am still going to weld them in, just for the sake of safety.

Here is a pic of the board mounted on the bike, the bloody finger is in the pic for scale.


No comments:

Post a Comment