Monday, November 19, 2012

Excelsior parts run

A week before brittney and I got married we got a call from a guy in Minnesota who had found an excelsior motor fork and back wheel. He described it over the phone. We made an offer and agreed on a price and agreed that we could pick it up on our way to davenport in September. Brittney and I got married the next week. I continued working 16 to 18 hour days on the cannnball bike and in the shop until we left for davenport. We called Todd about the motorand he said that someone from California had offered him more money for it and that it wasn't available. Brittney and I were heart broken. We are working on gathering up parts for a thirteen excelsior and this Minnesota pile would have put us a lot closer to finishing the bike. I knew that there was no way that I could have spares the fifteen hours f driving to pick the motor and parts up before our wedding and although I was bummed about missing out on the stuff I was ok with it. So we went to davenport and went on the cannonball and hot back and cotinued working like maniacs to get bikes done and everything else jiving.


Fast forward to yesterday. My fad was cleaning up his room and found an envelope with a five digit number on it and a guys name and phone number. My dad couldn't make any sense of it so he called the number and left a message. Half an hour later the guy with the x stuff called back. And said that the mike from mikes motorcycles in California didn't follow through with his offer and seemed to be flaking out it at the very least dragging his feet. My dad told me about it and I got brittney and we drove non stop to go pick it up. This was our second chance. Missing out on these parts was the major black eye of my summer of 2012 and now I had a chance to make serious gains on the thirteen project.

We drive non stop and looked the parts over. Everything seemed to be in really good shape. There were a few broken fins. But everything had minimal wear and was in overall really nice shape. The front tire is an original white clincher tire the rear one must have been replaced its a black mon skid. The Corbin v band rear his in amazing shape and the fork is flawless. The fender is 1914 only an really cool.

Sometimes things work out in the end. Now we just have to round up the rest if the parts













1 comment: