One of my friends brought a panhead frame to our place yesterday. It was all molded and painted. I thought that the distance from the front motor mount to the sidecar loop looked a little long. I asked him if I could sand through some of the molding to see what the heck was going on. I did a little archeology experiment and discovered this cheesy stretch job. It appears that some chopper guy cut the 1 inch tube and welded a 3/4 slug into it and welded the frame back onto it. This is a SCARY fix.
The backbone was pretty much left alone, so the downtube had to be cut and rewelded going into the neck.
Here is the nasty seam where the downtube was cut and rewelded to one of the wishbones.