Now I just have to spend some time spot welding the pieces together. When I was in high school I really wanted to make wheel rings and boot guards for my 36. It took a while to get done, but now I have both of them. woo hoo!
Some silly guy tried making clearance for a taller engine in his shovelhead frame with a hacksaw. This is what it looked like yesterday.
I cut out a rectangle and welded in a new .130 piece of metal for strength. This worked well and is a good fix
I also sorted out a tool box strap for a 38 that I am working on. For some strange reason I ended up with a couple extra og 36/37 tool box straps that didn't have a home, so I picked out the worst one to turn into a 38 strap. The spot welds are circled in this pic.
Here they are ground out.
And the finished piece. I already have it welded back on the frame, this is a good deal and will work well.
I spent most of the day ordering parts with my dad, but Idid get a chance to do some fun metal projects. Here is the bottom of an oil tank bracket. They have a tendency to completely wear off on the bottom. I usually like to leave as much of the og bracket as I can, so sometimes I just make up a piece to fix what is already there. s Here is the piece roughed out, the material thickness is a hundred thousandths.
I like to leave it a little big and grind it later.
And the finished product! This is a good fix.
Then I welded up a bunch of cracks in a 42 inner primary. Usually I would have scrapped one that is this rough, but it has been with the bike since new and I like a challenge. I still have some grinding to do then it is off to the painters.
I mounted five tires this morning, I was in a groove lol.
I tried to take a picture of the center of the rims, but it didn't really work out the way that I wanted it to. Harley didn't polish the center of their rims, and neither do we. This is a neat detail that a lot of people fail to replicate.
I also got some genny saddles in the mail today, shoot me an email if you want one. They turned out great, I used up the prototype ones and am ready to sell them to the public.
Here is a 48 frame that is for a project that we are working on. I have the rear brake backing plate, center stand and neck cups installed. All holes have been tapped and the motor mounts and transmission mounts have been cleaned off. This is the fun part that makes all of the last years hard work worth it!
The back wheel is installed in this pic. The tires on this bike are cokerfirestone tires mounted on original rims that are spoked to the correct hubs!
I got an email from Michael Kneebone today stating that my Iron Butt runs this summer have been investigated and approved. It is official, i own the oldest harley Davidson to complete a saddle sore 1000 trip! Hooray. I couldn't find a picture of my bike on this computer, but I do have this dandy pic of my left tank with one of our repro 36 shift gates and arms on it! It will have to work lol.
This is to Certify that on July 26, 2009, Matt Olsen and Mara Butler rode a 1936 Harley-Davidson EL a total of 1,060 miles in less than twenty-four hours starting in Bellville, Ohio continuing on to Fort Wayne, Indiana, Madison, Wisconsin and Albert Lea, Minnesota before ending in Mitchell, South Dakota while participating in the SaddleSore 1000.
Here is a pic of my daddy's 39, I road this bike straight home from Wauseon last summer, in a day!
This is to Certify that on July 19, 2009, Matthew Nels Olsen rode a 1939 Harley-Davidson EL a total of 1,016 miles in less than twenty-four hours starting in Wauseon, Ohio continuing on to Chicago, Illinois, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin and Austin, Minnesota before ending in Redfield, South Dakota while participating in the SaddleSore 1000.
It has been a while since I did a sears update, thankfully my friend Delmar brought down a bunch of parts that he madeup for me. Here are a bunch of sears gas and oil caps and the bungs that they screw into.
And my bottom end! This is all custom made stuff and needless to say it is quite a departure from a stock bottom end, if everything goes well it should out perform the stock set up with a lot less vibration. It has been a lot of fun engineering all of this stuff out. I wish that I could say i machined the parts, but I didn't, I am very thankful to have a talented group of guys that I work with on projects like this.
Here is a frame that I prepped today. It is for a 47 that we are restoring for a friend.
Back bone installed!
Down Tubes and sidecar loops--check!
Here it is all welded up and in place. I have started to grind file and dress all of the welds. It is turning out really well. After the seams are dressed, I will weld the floorboard tabs, gas tank mounts and top motor mount on. The pieces are falling into place! I will post more pics sunday night.