Wednesday, May 18, 2011

cool pipes and an even cooler birthday card


This birthday card showed up in the mail from my friends/ heroes Pete and Jackie Hill the other day. When I was eight I used to idolize Pete because he drag raced a knucklehead. My dad had him autograph a business card for me, and I had it tacked to a board next to my bed. When I got in my crash, they called me every week for six months to just talk and see how things were going. They are amazing people and I am a better person because I get the honor of calling both of them my friends. Check out this crazy video of Pete running his drag bike.



I finished up the brackets for all of my dual exhaust stuff last night. I should have my bike running this weekend. I found a broken gas line, and have to fix that. It was an original one that I used, and two of the ferrules broke.





This dual exhaust rear header pipe was designed for a 47 knucklehead that has the shift lever and rod pointed down. I didn't want to put later tanks on my bike, so I had to cut this relief for the shift rod. This took a bit of trial and error. It is all good now though and should work well for the summer.







I also had to lower the pipe one inch so that the muffler would match up and be the same height as the other side. I am going to run the bike a couple hundred miles on my birthday this Sunday and see if any of the brackets break, and then paint it. I have never seen another 36 with duals, it is pretty neat.

2 comments:

  1. Matt, When I ran tru-duals on my '40 I had the same problem. That's why I ran the nation-bilt tank bracket and trans top adapter piece. They convert it to go under and clear the left head pipe like '47.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dr. knows all the tricks.

    ReplyDelete